The International Dunhuang Project: The Silk Road Online
IDP is a ground-breaking international collaboration to make information and images of all manuscripts, paintings, textiles and artefacts from Dunhuang and archaeological sites of the Eastern Silk Road freely available on the Internet and to encourage their use through educational and research programmes.
IDP partner institutions which both provide data for and act as hosts to the multilingual website and database are:
Major IDP partners providing data include:
IDP’s many other collaborating institutions provide data and work on joint projects.
Read more about IDP…
Film Screening: The Silk Road of Pop
An evening of music and film will commence with a live performance by the London Uyghur Ensemble followed by a screening of the award winning documentary The Silk Road of Pop, a portrait of the explosive pop music scene among the Uyghur community in China’s Xinjiang Province. The screening will be followed by a Q&A session with the film directors.
Fri 28 Nov 2014, 18:30–20:30
The British Library Conference Centre
96 Euston Road, London, NW1 2DB
IDP News Issue No. 43, Spring 2014
The latest issue of IDP News is now available to read online. This enlarged edition celebrates our 20th anniverary. In it we remember the beginnings and international growth of IDP and celebrate our many collaborations illustrated with pictures from the archives. IDP’s partners and friends have selected a few of their favourite items and have met together for celebratory events over the past six months. This is also an opportunity to thank our many supporters who have made our success possible.
Exhibition: ‘The Diamond Sutra and Early Printing’
Following extensive conservation the whole text of the earliest dated printed book — the Diamond Sutra — will be on display at the British Library for the first time over a period of eighteen months from March 8, 2014.
Full details can be found on our 20th anniversary programme page and updates will be posted on our blog.
Records not Available
We are currently carrying out a major redevelopment of the IDP database and website, that will be implemented over the course of 2013/14. As part of this process, we are checking, validating and consolidating records and images on the database. There will be periods over the next year when records and images will be temporarily unavailable. Apologies in advance for any disruption.
We would appreciate your help. If you notice any errors, spelling mistakes, missing data or images, please do let us know. Please send by email to email@example.com.
Click here to see details of Conferences, Lectures, Exhibitions and other events.
- Site last revised: September 2014.
- If you have 'blocked' pop-up windows then some internal links will not work.
- The site is optimised for IE6+ on PCs, and for Safari, Firefox, Opera and browsers other than IE on Macs.
- Click here for further technical information.
- Website design by Vic Swift of IDP.
- Database development and web integration by Michael Kaye of sendmetospace with additional support for Chinese version by Mark Mitchenall, using 4D database software and Active4D.
- General text written by Susan Whitfield with additional input from other members of IDP staff and translation by IDP staff in China, Russia, Japan and Germany.
- Some areas of the site such as Educational Projects, Resources, Research and Conservation Papers and My IDP projects are individually authored and accredited. IDP is not responsible for their content.