Skip to main content

The Freer Gallery of Art was founded by Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), a railroad-car manufacturer from Detroit who gave to the United States his collections and funds for a building to house them.  

The collection holds over 46,000 objects originating from China, Japan, Korea, South and Southeast Asia, the ancient Near East and the Islamic world. The contributions of the Gallery to the IDP include two silk paintings and a fragment of the Mahaparinirvana sutra. 

Highlights from the collection

Author