The International Dunhuang Project: The Silk Road Online
IDP is a ground-breaking international collaboration to make information and images of all manuscripts, paintings, textiles and artefacts from Dunhuang and archaeological sites of the Eastern Silk Road freely available on the Internet and to encourage their use through educational and research programmes.
IDP partner institutions which both provide data for and act as hosts to the multilingual website and database are:
Major IDP partners providing data include:
IDP’s many other collaborating institutions provide data and work on joint projects.
Read more about IDP…
IDP News Issue No. 44, Autumn 2014
IDP News No. 44, Autumn 2014 is now available to view online or download as a PDF (798KB). The current issue includes the articles:
- The Visitors’ Centre at Dunhuang
- Conservation and Research on Excavated Textiles from Mogao
- Desmond Parsons in Chinese Archives
- Prospects for the Study of Dunhuang Manuscripts: The Next 20 Years
- Our Favourite Things: Excerpts from the IDP20 Blog
- Obituary: Serguei Grigoryevich Klyashtornyj
Exhibition: ‘The Diamond Sutra and Early Printing’
Following extensive conservation the whole text of the earliest dated printed book — the Diamond Sutra — will be on display at the British Library for the first time over a period of eighteen months from March 8, 2014.
Full details can be found on our 20th anniversary programme page and updates will be posted on our blog.
Records not Available
We are currently carrying out a major redevelopment of the IDP database and website, that will be implemented over the course of 2013/14. As part of this process, we are checking, validating and consolidating records and images on the database. There will be periods over the next year when records and images will be temporarily unavailable. Apologies in advance for any disruption.
We would appreciate your help. If you notice any errors, spelling mistakes, missing data or images, please do let us know. Please send by email to email@example.com.
Click here to see details of Conferences, Lectures, Exhibitions and other events.
- Site last revised: March 2015.
- If you have 'blocked' pop-up windows then some internal links will not work.
- The site is optimised for IE6+ on PCs, and for Safari, Firefox, Opera and browsers other than IE on Macs.
- Click here for further technical information.
- Website design by Vic Swift of IDP.
- Database development and web integration by Michael Kaye of sendmetospace with additional support for Chinese version by Mark Mitchenall, using 4D database software and Active4D.
- General text written by Susan Whitfield with additional input from other members of IDP staff and translation by IDP staff in China, Russia, Japan and Germany.
- Some areas of the site such as Educational Projects, Resources, Research and Conservation Papers and My IDP projects are individually authored and accredited. IDP is not responsible for their content.