The International Dunhuang Project: The Silk Road Online
IDP is a ground-breaking international collaboration to make information and images of all manuscripts, paintings, textiles and artefacts from Dunhuang and archaeological sites of the Eastern Silk Road freely available on the Internet and to encourage their use through educational and research programmes.
IDP partner institutions which both provide data for and act as hosts to the multilingual website and database are:
Major IDP partners providing data include:
IDP’s many other collaborating institutions provide data and work on joint projects.
Read more about IDP…
IDP News Issue No. 46, Autumn 2015
IDP News No. 46, Autumn 2015 is now available to view online or download as a PDF (2.1MB). IDP News is published twice a year reporting on IDP UK and worldwide news, recent publications and forthcoming exhibitions, conferences and events. The current issue is dedicated to textiles on the Silk Road with the following articles:
- Silk For Paper: A Textile Hoard Found Near Jericho
- Silks from the Silk Road: Origins, Transmissions and Exchange
- International Association for the Study of Silk Road Textiles
- Reproduction of a Model Pattern Loom from Sichuan
- Zhejiang University: Dunhuang and Silk Road Studies
Records not Available
We are currently carrying out a major redevelopment of the IDP database and website, that will be implemented over the course of 2015/16. As part of this process, we are checking, validating and consolidating records and images on the database. There will be periods over the next year when records and images will be temporarily unavailable. Apologies in advance for any disruption.
We would appreciate your help. If you notice any errors, spelling mistakes, missing data or images, please do let us know. Please send by email to email@example.com.
Click here to see details of Conferences, Lectures, Exhibitions and other events.
- Site last revised: June 2015.
- If you have 'blocked' pop-up windows then some internal links will not work.
- The site is optimised for IE6+ on PCs, and for Safari, Firefox, Opera and browsers other than IE on Macs.
- Click here for further technical information.
- Website design by Vic Swift of IDP.
- Database development and web integration by Michael Kaye of sendmetospace with additional support for Chinese version by Mark Mitchenall, using 4D database software and Active4D.
- General text written by Susan Whitfield with additional input from other members of IDP staff and translation by IDP staff in China, Russia, Japan and Germany.
- Some areas of the site such as Educational Projects, Resources, Research and Conservation Papers and My IDP projects are individually authored and accredited. IDP is not responsible for their content.